it ain’t easy drinking green…

I try to eat (and drink) healthy as much as I can. With a daily schedule that’s often hectic and irregular, adhering to a strict diet can be quite challenging.

As with most things in life, moderation is the key. Eating the same thing 100% of the time can be boring and eventually lead to over binging. That’s why I follow the 80-20 rule: simply put, I eat healthy 80% of the time and give myself a break with the remaining 20%.

On the days when I don’t make time for breakfast, I will either have a protein shake or grab some fruit. I usually have protein bars or ready-to-drink shakes on hand to curb my hunger and eliminate the need to eat junk food.

My protein shakes are generally made with non-fat milk, protein powder, and frozen fruit. I like to mix it up by using flavored protein and different brands to give me some variety. Sometimes I omit the fruit and add a couple of tablespoons of organic peanut butter or even honey powder.

Recently, I’ve been drinking a powder mix from Biochem called Greens & Whey. You read that correctly: it’s got greens!

Specifically, it contains a combined 1000 mg of organic alfalfa leaf juice powder, organic barley grass juice powder, organic chlorella (algae), organic kamut (leaf), Hawaiian spirulina (algae), organic broccoli sprout, and sea buckthorn (berry). Whew…

It comes in vanilla and chocolate flavors, but I prefer the chocolate. The appearance can be unsightly—think green-brown, but overall, the taste is not that bad all. Plus, it comes in a convenient single-serve packs that I can take with me on the road.

Keep in mind I take this as a supplement and not as a replacement for actual vegetables. According to the USDA’s daily recommended amounts, an adult male in my age group should eat at least 3 cups of vegetables per day.

Mixed with 8-oz. cold water, it only has 100 calories, 20 g protein, and less than 1 g of sugars. It’s also lactose-free and wheat/gluten-free.

Pretty good if you ask me, considering it looks like puke…

Advertisements

About this entry